The Bull Runner (TBR) Dream Marathon is the first and only marathon in the world that caters to first- or second-time marathoners. In 2012 and 2013, Runners World Philippines recognized it as among the Top 10 Marathons in the Philippines.
TBR Dream Marathon is the brainchild of Jaymie Pizarro, The Bull Runner, and Jim Lafferty.
In 2009, after Jaymie crossed the finish line of her first marathon, she was changed forever. She felt empowered, fearless, and more confident of herself and her abilities. “Completing a 42k, a distance that once seemed impossible, taught me that anything in this world was within my grasp as long as I worked for it.” Jaymie said. She was so overwhelmed with the experience that she felt compelled to encourage everyone run a marathon, too. For her, the transformation that occurred during a marathon could not be put into words. One had to run all 42.195km to experience the magic of the marathon.
Jaymie met with Jim Lafferty, retired P&G General Manager who shared the same passion for motivating people to run marathons. One morning in Jim’s living room, as they spoke about possible ways to encourage more people to run, Jim had a grand idea: “Let’s do a marathon for beginners!” With that, The Bull Runner Dream Marathon was born.
The inaugural Dream Marathon was launched in May 2010 to 300 runners. In 2014, the 5th Dream Marathon opened its slots to 800 runners and was sold out in 37 minutes. To date, there are over 6,000 TBR Dream Marathon alumni.
The vision for TBR Dream Marathon is to offer a safe, positive and idyllic experience for first-time marathoners to train for and complete their first marathon. The event is a 22-week journey beginning on the first day of training until the runner crosses the finish line.
TBR Dream Marathon is a unique, intimate event for runners to celebrate running… and life! At TBR Dream, we recognize runners as members of our community and not just numbers on a race bib.
TBR Dream Marathon encourages and promotes the idea of “paying it forward” where more experienced runners give back to the community by pacing or supporting our runners. We call our running heroes or volunteers “Dream Chasers.”
We believe that it doesn’t matter if you are fast or slow, first or last. At TBR Dream Marathon, everyone who crosses the finish line is a winner.
The Dream Team
The Dream Team, the organizing committee behind the Dream Marathon, is composed of passionate runners who have a personal connection to the race. It’s personal for us and we make it personal for you, too. For us, the Dream Marathon is not just any race; it’s a life experience we wish to share with you.
TBR Dream Team is composed of runners with full time jobs in insurance, banking, education, marketing and more, but we come together for 6 months of each year to advocate our love for running, particularly the marathon. Our team is composed of the following:
- Coach Jaymie Pizarro (The Bull Runner) – Founder, Managing Director, USATF and RRCA Running Coach, first Filipino World Marathon Majors Finisher, NASM – Certified Personal Instructor, IIN Health Coach
- Coach Jim Lafferty – Founder and Consultant
- Neville Manaois – Race Director, founder of Race Mechanics, ultramarathoner
- Coach Lit Onrubia – Principal Coach, TBRDM alumnus, marathoner
- Coach Nylah Bautista – Lead Coach, Running Coach (Adidas Runners Manila), World Triathlon Coach – Level 2, 2-time TBRDM alumnus, Ironman athlete and marathoner
- Kathy Apole Sarmiento – Project Manager
- Macel Janeo – Administrator, TBRDM alumna
- Chiqui Dijamco – Community (Runner) Manager, TBRDM alumna
- Mike Janeo – Community (Volunteer) Manager, TBRDM alumnus
- Jun Cruz – Consultant